Person-Centered Planning and Self-Direction: HHS Issues New Guidance

July 15, 2014

Excerpt from ACL Blog:

On June 6, 2014, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued important guidance on implementing Section 2402(a) of the Affordable Care Act. This provision of the law requires the Secretary to ensure all states develop systems for delivery of home and community-based services and supports (HCBS) that are designed to respond to the changing needs of beneficiaries, maximize independence, support self-direction, and achieve a more consistent and coordinated approach to the administration of policies and procedures across programs providing HCBS.

As a first step in implementing Section 2402(a), the Secretary issued guidance on person-centered planning and self-direction. This information will help states, agencies, providers, people with disabilities, families, and other stakeholders to encourage the development of systems and services that are person-centered and maximize self-direction. That, in turn, will empower people who receive long-term supports and services (LTSS) to reach their goals and achieve a better quality of life.

For more information, go to

3 Comments. Leave new

I Need To Kno Who To Contact: I Live In An Apartment Community That Do Not Have HandicapParking. I Have Gone To The Office an advised them of my health issues with documentation, and the asured me they would accommadate me with parking close to the building, that was a month ago. i call weekly for an update, only to be brushed off with excuse after excuse. please tell me what can I do legally, including moving.

Shirley Walker
October 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Dear Ms Cage,
Please excuse the delay in our answering your message. We have recently switched to this new format for our web-site and have quite a learning curve with it.
Your message was mixed in with a good bit of spam mail that we seem to get and I just saw it amidst the junk!!
Please contact me as soon as you can at 601-968-0600 ext 223, Shirley Walker.
Thanks so much!!


I would like information about person centered planning. I have a 16 yr old son with learning disabilities and a MR ruling on his IEP along with OED. I would be interested in beginning this process in beginning to engage my son in employment training so he will be able to live a more productive life. Any assistance or information on this would be greatly appreciated. I have used your services before with my son I grade school and would like information on this service as well. Thank you again. Mary Roland


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *