DRMS Presents Rights & Resources Workshops in August 2017
Disability Rights MS, in collaboration with our DD partners, the MS Council on Developmental Disabilities and the USM Institute for Disability Studies, is hosting at least 3 half day work shops the end of August. These will be held in the North, Central, and Southern regions of the state. (there might be an additional event added to the Jackson area)
The dates are as follows:
Holly Springs – Tuesday, August 22, 2017 – at the Eddie Lee Smith Multipurpose Building
Meridian – Thursday, August 24, 2017 – at the Meridian/Lauderdale County Public Library
Natchez – Wednesday, August 30, 2017 – at the Judge George W. Armstrong Library
All events will be held from 12pm to 4pm at each venue and the agenda can be found at the bottom of this page.
These workshops will be free and open to the public. There will be opportunities to hear from and meet the new Executive Director of DRMS, as well as representatives from each agency. The day will be broken up into brief sessions, and there will be numerous resources provided.
There will also be an opportunity for people to sign up and have a brief 15 minute session with a DRMS attorney, in order to have specific individual questions answered, with an option to have further contact after the workshop should the issue require more detailed information.
We are excited to be present in these communities and look forward to meeting with and hearing from all of you.
There will also be a drawing for a $25.00 wal-mart gift card that all people who complete surveys will be entered to win, and refreshments will be provided. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity.
For more information you can email Shirley Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org
The agenda will be as follows:
- 11:30 – 12pm – Sign in and register; gather materials; meet advocates; sign up for a 15 minute attorney session for brief legal counseling, services or referral. Refreshments available
- 12 – 12:10pm – Brief event overview and agency introductions.
- 12:10 – 12:30pm – Disability Rights MS
An introduction to the agency and an overview of the purpose, mission, and work that they do. Also introduction of the new Executive Director, Polly Tribble.
- 12:30 – 12:45pm – MS Council on Developmental Disabilities
Introduction by Executive Director Charles Hughes; overview of programs and activities in which they are involved.
- 12:45 – 1:05pm – Institute for Disability Studies
Introduction by Project Coordinator Alma Ellis, overview, programs, events and trainings coming up.
- 1:10 – 2pm – Open Discussion – general questions and comments from participants. Chance to hear from the community, Directors will take questions; Interactive time; pass out surveys.
- 2:15 to 3:45pm – Individual attorney sessions – meet with attorneys at scheduled intervals (15 min each).
- 2:15 to 3:45pm – While individual attorney sessions are going, we will have 4 different presentations on: Overall Wellness programs and opportunities; Voting Matters; The ABLE Act; and the 2018 MS disAbility Megaconference.
- 3:45 – 4:00pm – Wrap up and conclusion, any final comments or questions. Finalizing any surveys passed out. Gathering resources, refreshments, talking with advocates and directors.
Surveys completed and turned in for the drawing for a $25.00 Wal-mart gift card.
- 4pm – Drawing! Dismissal