Civil Rights Attorney Position Available
CIVIL RIGHTS ATTORNEY
DISABILITY RIGHTS MISSISSIPPI
Disability Rights Mississippi (DRMS), the protection and advocacy system for Mississippi, is seeking an experienced, dynamic individual to serve as Civil Rights Attorney.
DRMS provides protection and advocacy services across the state of Mississippi. DRMS is seeking an attorney to provide leadership on civil rights issues and to litigate cases central to our mission. Work responsibilities include civil litigation, legal oversight of non-attorney advocate case work, individual legal cases, and other systemic advocacy.
Position Title: Attorney
Reports To: Litigation Director/Legal Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
- Oversee litigation of cases through trial and appeal, as well as other legal processes and services
- Oversee the supervision and training of team members
- Manage a caseload of active individual cases and assigned systems advocacy/litigation projects which may include class actions
- Build cases from the ground up, develop fact patterns and witnesses, and research applicable legal standards
- Assist in the planning and evaluation of the legal work of the agency
- Train staff members as needed to support the litigation efforts of the agency
- Perform community outreach including public speeches and presentations as requested
- Maintain involvement with the Mississippi public interest bar and protection and advocacy systems nationwide
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduate of an accredited law school
- License to practice law in Mississippi
- At least five years of experience as an attorney
- Demonstrated experience in civil litigation in state and federal court
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong training skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with non-attorney advocates
- Ability to travel throughout the state
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Ability to handle multiple projects
Location: Jackson, Mississippi
Compensation: $50,000- 65,000 depending on experience; generous benefits
Deadline: August 30, 2018 or until filled.
To Apply: Send letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 601 968-0665. All inquiries will be kept confidential.
Jackson, Mississippi is a historic state capital city that offers museums, easy access to state parks and national forests, and a vibrant local restaurant scene. Jackson presents a unique opportunity to build a career in civil rights law.
DRMS is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.